Ketogenic or Indian Keto diet for Beginners ( Veg or Non Veg meal options) is a diet low in carbohydrates (fast and slow sugars), sufficient in protein and rich in lipids (fats). This mode of feeding can turn your body into a machine to burn fat ! As a result, it is recognised for its beneficial effects on weight loss, but also on health, and on physical performance.
The term “keto” comes from ketones or ketone bodies. Ketones are molecules produced by the liver from fat as a source of energy. They are an alternative source of energy for the body no longer having carbohydrates as a source of energy. The brain, which is a big consumer of glucose, can also use ketones when it needs them. It can therefore work perfectly even in the absence of carbohydrates in our diet!
Summary : Indian Keto Diet for Beginners
- How Keto diet for Beginners works ?
- Why eat keto or Indian Ketogenic diet ?
- What do we eat in keto or Indian Ketogenic Diet?
- What do we drink in keto or Indian Ketogenic Diet?
- How to be in ketosis?
- How do you know if you are in ketosis?
- Side effects or “Ketogenic Influenza” …
- Ketogenic flu
- How to cure it?
How Keto diet for Beginners works ?
In any ketogenic nutrition of Indian Ketogenic diet, our diet consists generally of 5% of carbohydrates, 15 to 35% of proteins and 60 to 80% of lipids (in calorie intake) . In comparison, the current diet called “balanced” contains about 50% of carbohydrates, 35% of lipids and 15% of proteins (50/35/15, it is a funny concept of balance anyway not? ).
Ketones are therefore produced when you eat very little carbohydrate (less than 20 g per day ideally), which has the effect of significantly reducing the insulin level and which, as a result, activates the oxidation (the “Burning”) fats.
Therefore, the body that was working primarily on carbohydrates, will then draw all the energy necessary for its functioning in fat. Insulin is the hormone responsible for glucose treatment. Its role is to reduce the level of glucose in the blood. However, when it is produced, it has the unpleasant side effect of enabling fat storage. It will then block the consumption of what is already present in the body.
In fact, when the body produces ketones, it is said that it is in ketosis . This state is natural. It is activated during a fast (deprivation of food).
Why eat keto or Indian Ketogenic diet ?
Speaking of benefits, keto is a great way to help with weight loss. But not only ! Indeed, it allows, among other things, to increase its concentration, to improve its physical stamina, to have better health (tension, cholesterol, blood sugar), to slow the progression of type 2 diabetes, and is even recommended. for the treatment of epilepsy.
Little bonus and no less: The skin is more beautiful (goodbye imperfections!) And smoother (long live the eternal youth!) Keto diet for Beginners
PS: The benefits of ketogenic nutrition are still numerous, if you want to know more, more in-depth articles and sourced are coming soon. The keto is not the same for everyone …
- If you take a treatment for type 1 diabetes , this diet is beneficial to better regulate glucose in the blood but some precautions are to be expected.
- If you are taking a blood pressure treatment , this diet will allow you to reduce your blood pressure or even to make it go back to normal. It will however regularly monitor this and avoid consuming more salt, as recommended at the beginning of a keto diet.
- If you are breastfeeding it is possible to have a keto diet but more moderately. You will lose weight during pregnancy while still providing good nutrients to your body and baby. For that, you will need to increase your carbohydrate quota to 50g per day instead of the recommended 20g daily.
All these details are given as an indication, but in these cases the best thing is to have a health professional accompany you!
What do we eat in keto or Indian Ketogenic Diet?
The principle of the Indian ketogenic diet is to consume as few carbohydrates (like chapatis, rice, parathas etc.) as possible. In general, it is necessary to stay below 50 g per day but it is better to aim for less than 20 g . The fewer carbs, the more the keto will be effective.
- The good oils without hydrogenated fats (olive oil, walnut oil, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, ..
- Natural animal fats (Desi Ghee, unsalted white Butter)
- The seeds and fruit oilseeds (chia seeds, flax, walnuts, macadamia …)The protein sources : chicken, ed meat, poultry, fish (preferably fatty sardines, mackerel, salmon …), eggs …
- Not to mention vegetables low in carbohydrates: cauliflower, zucchini, cabbage, spinach, broccoli …
- The dairy products (if not intolerant) : go ahead cheerfully on butter, cheese, and cream …
- You can tolerate the lowest carb fruits such as avocados, berries or rhubarb.
- All sugars (white, red, syrup, honey, …)
- Products made from cereals (such as bread, pasta, rice …)
- Foods rich in starch: potatoes, sweet potato
- Legumes (Daals, lentils, red / white beans, …)
- Prepared dishes and sauces
- Sweet products (such as mithais, cakes, sweets, jams …)
- The very sweet fruits (bananas, apples, dates …).
- Forbidden foods in Keto diet for Beginners
What do we drink in keto or Indian Ketogenic Diet?
The base: we consume water of course (a lot of water, 1.5 to 2 liters a day!), And everything that does not contain sugar or alcohol.
- The ideal drinks to consume at will : Coffee, tea, infusion, fruit water, …
- Drinks to be consumed in moderation : Dry alcohols (vodka, rum, whiskey, …), red wine, dry white wine, champagne.
How to be in ketosis?
Several elements will allow us to enter ketosis and increase our production of ketones. Here are some rules to follow if you want to optimize this:
- Restrict carbohydrates – Do not consume more than 20 g of carbohydrates per day (the fibers are not included). Consult the Ciqual table of ANSES for the macro nutrients of foods
- Have an adequate intake of protein – It is important to consume what your body needs. The suggested amount is 1.2 to 2g per day (depending on your sport activity) and per kilogram of body. For example for a person of 80 kg, 96 to 160g of protein will do.
Do not hesitate to consume fat to have this feeling of satisfaction. Unlike other diets that scare you, this one will make you feel good and you will not have that feeling of frustration. But do not force yourself either, there is no “quota” to reach. The right amount of fat is the one that makes you want
Avoid nibbling . When the urge comes, ask yourself if you are really hungry or if it’s just a habit. If you have eaten enough food, you will not need to nibble anymore.
How do you know if you are in ketosis?
There are ways to accurately measure ketone levels in blood or urine using specific devices. However, we do not necessarily need this to know it. Some visible symptoms can identify if you are in ketosis:
A feeling of dry mouth – We are often thirsty. You can also have a metallic taste in your mouth.
A frequent urge to pee – This is due to the fact that we will drink more (see previous point) and the ketone bodies that evacuate in the urine. Moreover, when one consumes almost no more carbohydrates, one retains less water in one’s body, so one goes more often to the toilets!
Possibility to meet with a jackal breath … but it will not happen necessarily, and it’s temporary! The smell comes from the evacuation of ketonic bodies by the breath that is close to the smell of solvents.
We feel more energy ! After the first few days of adaptation to the keto, you can feel a boost of energy. This can result in a clearer mind, a more active brain, even a feeling of euphoria! (Do you know the movie Limitless? If yes, it’s an excellent image for what we can feel
Keto diet for Beginners
Be careful though! Many beginners make the mistake of turning this need for knowledge into obsession. Remember that ketogenic nutrition is a means, not an end. A way to be healthier. To help with weight loss. Regulate your inflammation or your digestive problems. A way to other goals yet …
Rather than obsessing about whether you are in ketosis, focus on the evolution towards your goals. Have you lost weight? Lost from the waist? How is your digestion? How is your energy? These are more important questions. And in addition they do not claim any purchase of material to answer them
Side effects or “Ketogenic Influenza” …
When starting an Indian ketogenic diet, the body has to change its metabolism . While he has always been used to consuming carbohydrates, he must now adapt to work on the sources of fat and make ketones. Changing your diet is not quite as easy as changing your shirt or haircut (at least in the beginning …!
Hence, one can sometimes feel several unpleasant effects the 1st or the 2nd week as headaches, a general fatigue, vertigo, slight nausea, difficulties to concentrate, a lack of motivation, an easy irritability, …
This is called “Keto flu” (English term). If we translate it word for word it gives the “Ketogenic Influenza”. As we are nice we will give him the little name of ” Keto Flu “
Be aware, however, that these symptoms are not inevitable. Depending on your metabolism, you may not feel these effects much. You may not feel any. This is the case for many people. But you will only know that by trying it
How to cure it?
When you eat a diet high in carbohydrates, you retain more water in your body. When we begin the ketogenic lifestyle with Indian Ketogenic Diet, we start to evacuate the retained water. It also causes a loss of electrolytes / minerals (sodium, magnesium, potassium) and dehydration.
THEREFORE, the best way to reduce the unpleasant symptoms of keto flu is to consume a lot of water and more sodium-rich salt (such as Guérande salt or pink salt from the Himalayas). The simplest is to add salt in the dishes and / or to take dietary supplements.
The best way to convince yourself, and see results, is to commit to one or two weeks (the time to pass the keto flu). You will observe positive results and changes for yourself!
Also read – Lose Weight on Cheat Day – How it works?