Navratri (Nav- nine; Ratri- Nights) also called Durga Pooja is done to worship the nine divine forms of DEVI. It is a time of religious reflection and fasting. So follow Free Navratri Diet Plan and gain the blessing of Devi. Here is free Navratri diet plan.
- During fasting, people follow a strict vegetarian diet and do not consume alcohol. Free Navratri Diet Plans
- Fruits and vegetables are allowed during Navratri for people who are on fast but not Wheat flour.
- Some people abstain from consuming onion and garlic.
The food added or omitted during Navratri is taken from the principles of ancient Indian sciences of Ayurveda which classifies foods in three categories i.e.
- Only Satvik food is included in the Navratri fasting as it is believed that they provide vitality and energy to the body. Also, these foods are considered to be pure and clean.
- Rajasik and Tamasik foods are considered to be heavy and negative and also keep the body bloated according to Ayurveda.
- Nalways comes at the time of season change. This is the time when the body is low on immunity and chances of falling sick are higher. Therefore fasting will keep away negative energy.
- Fasting has been a part of the culture for centuries. It basically means not consuming foods or certain food for a period of time mostly 24 to 72 hours.
- The new culture of Intermittent fasting has been derived from ancient times in which people fasted for certain days of the week depending on the god they worshipped.
It decreases insulin resistance and therefore increases the body’s sensitivity towards insulin which allows blood to transport from bloodstreams to the cells efficiently.
It also improves health by reducing inflammation. Most of the food that is consumed in the diet is gluten-free. It is believed that one should not consume “ann” during fasting and hence gluten-free grains like Sago, Buckwheat are consumed. Although buckwheat by its name seems that it contains wheat which is not gluten-free but buckwheat is a seed rather than a grain preferred by people who have wheat sensitivity or celiac
Fasting also promotes weight loss. During this time the body metabolises the fat present in the body and hence aids weight loss. Fasting state comes when the body starts burning fat which begins 12 hours after the last meal consumed.
According to many studies, it is believed that fasting can increase Human Growth Hormone (HGH) levels which are involved in boosting metabolism, growth, aid weight loss and increase muscle strength.
Current eating habits have to lead to cardiovascular issues and fasting helps to dilute the body pr desalt.
Despite endless benefits, fasting is not healthy for everyone. People with diabetes may suffer from spikes or a crash in blood sugar levels. Also, people who are underweight or older people should fast after asking their doctors. Avoid these side effects by following recommendations of a Free Navratri Diet Plan
Some things that you should take care while fasting includes:
- Staying Hydrated
- Include Nutrient-dense foods during eating time
- If fasting for longer periods avoid engaging in strenuous physical activity
- Get plenty of rest
Enjoy a sample Free Navratri Diet Plan as below:
|Early Morning||Luke Warm water English Tea/Tulsi Tea/Green Tea|
|Breakfast Option 1 Option 2|| |
Kuttu Cheela/Idli(2) +Buttermilk(1 cup) + Fruit(1) + Nuts(1-2 tbsp)
Fruit Smoothie Bowl (Greek Yoghurt + Fruit + Almonds)
| Mid Morning |
Green Tea / Tea / Coffee + Peanuts(Unsalted)(3 tbsp)
Coconut water/Lemon water + Banana/Apple(1)
| Lunch |
|Sabudana Khichdi(1cup) + Low Fat Dahi(1 cup) + 1 Cucumber|
| Option 2 |
Air fried/Shallow Fried Aloo Tikki(1-2) + Fruit Raita(1-2 cups) + 1 Cucumber
Cottage Cheese/Paneer(100-150g) With lemon and Rocksalt + 1 Cucumber
| Late Afternoon 3:30-4:30 pm Option 1 |
Nimbu Paani / Coconut Water/Buttermilk + Makhana(1cup)
Green Tea+ Roasted Peanuts(Handfull)
|Dinner (7:00-7:30 pm) Option 1|| |
Pumpkin Vegetable + Samak Rice(1 bowl) + Salad(1-2 Cups)
|Option 2 |
Raita(1 cup) + Sabudana khichdi(1 cup) + 1-2 Cucumber
Aloo Tomato Curry(1 cup) + Kuttu Roti(1-2) + 1-2 Cucumber
|Post Dinner (Optional) (as per appetite)||Low fat milk ( ½-1 cup) / Fruit(1 bowl Papaya) / Nuts(1-2 tbsp)|
- 1 cup= 180-200 ml
- You can alternate between lunch & dinner options as per your convenience and preference.
- Follow principle of balance & moderation.
- Eat small & frequent meals. Avoid large meals specially late into the night.
- Maintain a food diary.
- Nuts include almonds, walnuts, pistachios, cashewnuts, peanuts, pine nuts.
- Take plenty of fluids.
- Limit melons and watermelons (upto 1 cup).
- Suggested snacks: fruits / nuts/ seeds/ roasted snacks (½ cup) / peanuts (12- 15) / low fat dairy (curd / raita/ milk / lassi/ cottage cheese (panir).
- Preferred sweets: Fresh fruits/ raisins / figs / prunes / dates / apricots / honey coated nuts / jaggery / sesame balls (2-4) / peanut balls (2-4) / fruit yogurt..
- Suggested Beverages: Green tea / lemon water (sugar-free)/ lassi/ low fat milk-cold coffee/ hot milk / smoothie / iced tea (sugar-free) / coconut water/ soups.
- Watch sodium / salt intake.
- Check on dietary supplements, review, if necessary.
- Maintain a regular exercise regime X 30-40 minutes /
DISCLAIMER : The above Free Navratra diet plan is only a suggestion to follow diet during Navratra days. Please consult your doctor/ dietitian below following this diet. To be followed at your own discretion.
OTHER RESOURCES :