Types of BMI
Many people aim to acquire the ideal or healthy weight in order to retain excellent health. Excess weight can cause cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and diabetes. You may use a variety of techniques to calculate your optimal weight for your height, including the body mass index, waist circumference measurement, fat mass index, and impedance scale.
Table of Contents
Types of BMI: How do you know if you have the right weight?
By taking into account numerous characteristics, it is possible to establish the appropriate weight using multiple trustworthy approaches. The body mass index (BMI) is a useful tool for determining the appropriate weight range for your height.
What is the BMI?
The body mass index determines if your weight is appropriate for your height. In fact, doctors utilise it to determine nutritional health. It calculates the appropriate weight based on height and is helpful in recognising:
- Thinness ;
- Obesity or overweight.
How to calculate your BMI?
To calculate your BMI, you should use a simple mathematical formula. Simply divide your weight by the square of your height.
BMI in kg / m2 = weight in kg / height squared in m
You can estimate the normal build using the result obtained in kg / m2, including obesity or overweight in adults.
How to calculate BMI in children and adolescents?
To calculate the BMI in children, it is advisable to consult their health books by referring to the growth curves which appear there. Monitoring BMI helps identify obesity and overweight in children. From the period of 0 to 3 years, you can distinguish boy BMI and girl BMI curves.
What are the limitations of calculating BMI?
The limitations of the BMI calculation are as follows:
- The methods on which the child’s BMI is based vary;
- This indicator is not suitable for elderly subjects and pregnant women;
- Edema increases BMI while dehydration lowers it;
- It does not indicate where the fatty mass lodges. However, the latter is harmful to health. Thus, it is possible for a very muscular person to display a high BMI without having excess fat. According to many scientists, waist circumference should be used to identify a health problem. Disrupting the metabolism, excess abdominal fat is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Thus, the calculation of BMI and the measurement of waist circumference are complementary.
How to recognize a normal BMI?
A normal BMI ranges from 18.5 to 25. An individual with a BMI below 18.5 is considered lean. On the other hand, if the BMI exceeds 25, it is overweight. Beyond 30, the individual is considered obese.
- BMI < 18.5: weight is low in relation to height. Being underweight can be due to poor health (anaemia, deficiencies or osteoporosis). Do not hesitate to consult your doctor for medical advice and find the cause of this thinness.
- 18.5 < BMI < 24.9: weight corresponds to height. To maintain optimal health, it is important to maintain a balanced diet. Choose a balanced diet and practice regular physical activity to maintain your ideal weight. Avoid excess fat as much as possible.
- 25 < BMI < 29.9: the weight is too high and is not suitable for the height. Being overweight or overweight can have adverse health consequences. It increases the risk of exposure to heart, metabolic (diabetes), joint and respiratory diseases. A medical opinion is necessary before starting a diet to refine your silhouette.
- BMI > 30: you are overweight. Excess body fat can harm your health. The risks of exposure to cardiovascular, respiratory, heart, metabolic and joint diseases are high. Body mass index determines the severity of obesity. If the BMI varies from 30 to 34.9, it is moderate obesity. Obesity is severe when the BMI varies from 35 to 39.9. Finally, obesity is massive when the BMI exceeds 40.
What is the ideal weight for my height?
From a well-being, health or aesthetic point of view, the notion of ideal weight is relative. The ideal weight , on the other hand, mainly concerns athletes. In addition to the BMI, other indices make it possible to determine it.
How to calculate your ideal weight?
To obtain a more personalized result according to your morphology, your sex or your frame, other indices allow you to calculate the ideal weight.
Creff formula: the ideal weight according to the morphology
The Creff formula takes into account both age and morphology. A big, average, or slender morphology will result in a different optimum weight. A slim person’s optimum weight will be 10% less than a typical person’s, whereas a large person’s ideal weight will be 10% higher.
Lorentz formula: sex-specific optimum weight
The Lorentz formula uses the sex difference to determine the optimal weight. The only exceptions are endurance athletes, pregnant women, and those between the ages of 18 and 65. This method is rarely applied since it ignores crucial elements including morphology, age, and bone structure.
The Monnerot-Dumaine formula: the ideal weight according to the frame
It takes into account both bone and muscle mass. The wrist circumference should be measured in order to determine the appropriate weight since it is a good predictor of bone density and muscle mass.
Despite the existence of these indices, it is recommended to consult your doctor in order to benefit from a personalized analysis and to have an estimate of your ideal weight. Also, medical advice is needed to stay healthy.
Ideal female weight: what weight for 1m65 and for 1m70?
The ideal weight varies depending on the formula you use.
- According to the Lorentz formula, the ideal weight for a woman measuring 1m65 is 57.5 kg and that of a woman measuring 1m70 is 62 kg.
- According to the formula of Creff, the ideal weight for a woman of 1m65 is between 53.87 and 70.79 kg. That of a woman of 1m70 varies between 57.92 and 75.74 kg.
- According to the Monnerot-Dumaine formula, the ideal weight for a woman of 1m65 varies from 48.50 to 78.50 kg. That of a woman of 1m70 is between 51 and 81 kg.
What are the causes and risks of obesity?
Obesity reasons differ from individual to person. It might be as a result of:
- Sedentary lifestyle caused by a lack of or inadequate physical exercise;
- Overconsumption of caloric meals;
- Environmental influences;
- A hereditary tendency
Obesity has several dangers and can harm an individual’s health. It leads to:
- A reduction in life expectancy;
- An increased risk of cardiovascular disease;
- An increased risk of diabetes, cancer (breast or colon cancer), respiratory disorders, particularly in children, and high blood pressure;
- The beginning of depression.
Interesting Facts on Instagram page
Learn More: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ6blK4BdsW/
Interestingly : https://www.instagram.com/p/CPe2h0gFAWj/
Dietician Shivani Sikri - Best Indian Dietician
Shivani Sikri is an internationally renowned award-winning dietician, nutritionist, columnist, blogger, and nutrigenomics counsellor.
Dietician Shivani is best known as the co-founder of Nutri4Verve, her online clinic where she provides customised dietary and nutrition guidance to her clients. Sikri has been honoured with several accolades, including the Best Dietician in Delhi and the Sattva Iconic Wellness Award 2021. You can surely contact the best nutritionist for weight loss in India and across the globe.
After completing her Masters, Shivani Sikri further attained her POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN PUBLIC HEALTH AND NUTRITION (PGDPHN). Additionally, she also completed her POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN NUTRITION & CLINICAL DIETETICS.
To further enhance her knowledge and skill-set as a Nutritionist in the field, she had accomplished several Professional Certificates pertaining to – “Modern Lifestyle Diseases – Awareness and Prevention”, “Alcohol and its effects on health” and “HIV-AIDS – Awareness and Prevention”.
Additionally, Shivani has also completed specialised Extension Online Certificates from Texas A&M, USA in the subjects – Healthy eaters: Infant and Toddler Nutrition in Child Care – and Osteoporosis
Furthermore, She has also excelled in her Advance Course in “Nutrigenomics for Professionals in Nutrition” USA.
Also, Shivani Sikri is also a Certified Naturopath.
WEBSITE : https://nutri4verve.com/
Contact : +91-8800339577
Email : [email protected]
Questions in your mind..
Have an informal chat with our expert Nutritionists on WhatsApp or Personal Call..
Book An Appointment
Sign Up For a Free 1-on-1 Discovery Call on Phone with our Best Dieticians for Weight Loss
to discuss your Health Challenges & Goals
Just drop in your details & we shall get back to you later at your preferred time..